Re: Sorcerous mysticism

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 16:29:54 EST

Peter Larsen:

<< Well, OK, but couldn't some schools of "atheist" sorcery teach that the Divine is reachable without reliance of Church or Saints, and the Invisible God worshipped by most Malkioni is a distorting mask hung over the ineffable truth of a more purer Divinity? Their sorcery, then, would be an expression of their oneness with the Creator and their understanding of its pure laws. >>

     Yes, although that wasn't what I was thinking was meant by "access".

 << Don't the Hrestoli require passage through the priesthood on the way up the ladder? The Lords of Loskalm certainly sound like theocrats.>>

     They require passage through the wizard class, but not all Loskalmi wizards are necessarily priests in the normal sense (although most are). However, priests are not an essential intermediary with the divine, and every man can contact God through prayer.

<< > If there such a thing, I suspect the Perfecti are it. Certainly they
>appear to be mystics of some stripe, since they avoid the use of magic.

    Definitely; it fits the Cathar model well. Although, there are so many bizarre European sects in the 14th C, it seems a pity not to adapt them -- flagellants, the Brethren of the Free Spirit, the Lollards.... The West, especially Ralios, should be lousy with them.>>

     The Perfecti seem to be based quite strongly on the Cathars (as their name implies), but I'm sure that flagellants and the like also exist elsewhere, especially, as you say, in Ralios.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky