Teutonic / Celtic

From: Terra Incognita <inarsus-ferilt-z_at_mrg.biglobe.ne.jp>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 06:10:08 +0900

Barbarian Belt

Enclosure #1 & 2 classified Orlanthi with Many sub-resources of Teutonic and Celtic RW cultures: for Greg Stafford gave an account of Orlanthi as Paganistic Germanic and /or Celtic Stock of Europian Culture similar to before Christ Cuture of RW.
Celts Once dominated Most of Modern Europian Territory as Germans at End of Western Roman Empire. But Glorantha is Other World and Three must never become contemporary Feudal Europians of West Genertela, Thrived Romanic Lunars and Teutons live in Modern 16C.

Very, very simplified understanding between Two Barbarous Culture against GrecoRoman City Civilization, Celts are Dreamy / Naturalistic and Germans are Pragmatic / Pessimistic, and Wide Varieties of each Orlanthi Dragonpass Vingkotlings, South-Bowl Alakorings, Ralian relatively-Naturalists and Manirian Boar Worshippers may be applied One of these Cultural inheritance for Making Varieties.

Teutonic Heroship

>"It is generally assumed that the great Germanic legendary heroes Dietrich
von Bern >and the Nibelungen have their counterparts in history: Theodoric the Great and the >Burgundians of Late Antiquity.
>Unfortunately, the stories told about these great heroes have no relation
whatsoever >to the known historical facts. In addition, the heroes might be identified in a >radically different way."

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was not only Author of "Middleearth Stories", but also authorized Philologist of AngloSaxon Culture and Famous Researcher of RW mythological Sources (Especially "Beowulf"), One of His Sympathizer David Day quoted many such sources in One of His Writing...

IMHO, Teutonic Flavour of Heroic Deed and Tragedical End is not always attitude of Past Age Orlanthi (you should not lose Interests of Majority too fearful to Barbarous valor and honour.) Except some exception, I think Death of Alakoring (killed with One Elven Arrow.), "The Sword and Helm Saga" in Enclosure #2 (and Modern desperate Sartarite(?)) are fitting to the cases.

Sigurd (Siegfried):

>Regin said, "Nay it is not so, the fashion and the growth of him is even as
of other >lingworms, (1) and an over great tale men make of it; and even so would thy >forefathers have deemed; but thou, though thou be of the kin of the Volsungs, shalt >scarce have the heart and mind of those, who are told of as the first in all deeds >of fame."

>Sigurd said, "Yea, belike I have little of their hardihood and prowess, but
thou >hast naught to do, to lay a coward's name upon me, when I am scarce out of my >childish years. Why dost thou egg me on hereto so busily?"

Most Famous Hero of Germanic Legends came from Dark fragments of most old sources "Edda" with thunder, Volsunga Saga taught this Legend with Prosaic Style, Niebelungenlied is cause of Feudalistic Arrangement with Great Fame for Goethe.
Rastalulf's Saga of Enclosure #2 apparently owed it as One of Sources.

Richard Wagner who Notorious for his attitude of "White Policy" used same theme and
wrote "Der Ring des Nibelungen" returning to more Old Style than "Lied".

>"Siegfried meets Brunhild before marrying Grimhild. They may (or may not)
exchange >marriage-vows. On arriving at the Nibelungen-court, Siegfried is administered a love >philter making him forget Brunhild and love Grimhild, whom he marries.
>The reason for Attila to attack the Nibelungen differs from that in the
>Nibelungenlied: Attila greedily wants to own their treasure. Before the
Nibelungen >arrive, Grimhild tries to warn them. Later, she avenges them."

Dietrich Von Bern:
Theodoric who defeating Odorcere (Edward Gibbon mentioned him in his "Fall of Empire") and King of East Goadi may have an aspect of more favorable Hero for Modern Federal Republic.

>Then spake Hagen of Troneg: "Yonder I see Sir Dietrich coming hither; he
would fain >encounter us, after the great sorrow, that hath here befallen him. To-day we shall >see, to whom one must give the palm. however strong of body and grim of mood the >lord of Berne thinketh him to be, right well dare I match him," so spake Hagen, "an' >he will avenge on us that which hath been done him."

>Dietrich and Hildebrand heard this speech, for Hagen came to where he found
the >champion stand before the house, leaning against the wall. Dietrich set his good >shield upon the ground, and spake in grievous dole: "Gunther, mighty king, why have >ye so acted against me, banished man? What have I done to you? I stand alone, bereft >of all my comfort. Ye thought it not enow of bitter need, when ye did kill Knight >Rudeger, our friend. Now ye have robbed me of all my men. Forsooth I never had >wrought you heroes sorrow such as this. Think on yourselves and on your wrongs. Doth >not the death of your kinsmen and all the hardship grieve the minds of you good
>knights? Alas, what great dole Rudeger's death doth give me! Never in all
the world >hath more of sorrow happed to any man. Ye thought but little on me and on your pain. >Whatsoever joy I had, that lieth slain by you. Certes, I never can bewail my kin >enow."

Modern Japaneses are generally reluctant to Teutonic Legacy for Memories... Very, very Cold Wind. Leaning toward Celtic Aspect of Orlanthi.

BTW, Do you know the Source of another Dietrich's Story still not-introduced to Japanese Language? (David Day mentioned some Excerpts but he didn't mention Original Text.) Here is Outline of most Fantasic Story of Dietrich (and Hildebrand):

Dietrich and Queen of Ice (Yelaspunt? spelling is lost.): He fought Giant Orchis and Evil Wizard Yanibath who wanted to conquer Ice Faerie's Kingdom on the Top of Alpen Mountains, but Yanibath was terrible sorceror who possessed Iron Tablet containing Mighty Magic. At last, helped with Queen's Love, Dietrich managed to break this magical artifact and immediately crushing minions of Evil, wed with Beautiful Queen. (too sugar-sweet for Adult People?)