Diphthongs

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:25:29 -0000

Andrew writes:

> The biggest doctrinal split in Christianity was the 'schism over a
> diphthong', and the different beliefs did not produce any difference
> I'm aware of in how people acted, and precious little in their worship
> services.

Unless you count the fact that descendents of those Eastern Christians exposed to the "schism over a diphthong" (homoousious/homoiousious) by and large converted to the far more straightforward creed of Islam, as soon as that became an option. :-)

Though I agree Monophysitism/Monotheletism etc. were arguably a more proximate cause of this defection. And, indeed, the original Islamic Jihad itself should probably not be discounted. But humour me... :-)

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick