Re: Rainbows

From: JeffJErwin_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:36:30 EST

Michael Cule writes:

<< I seem to recall there is some sort of minor rainbow god. But it's such a lovely symbol I wonder why it hasn't been used more. It's a sign of good luck in KoDP.... Hmm, this bit of the story needs some work. >>

Rainbow Girl--
Here's a writeup I did years ago on her... (info from old Wyrms Footnotes and Nomad Gods): [She would be a Great Spirit in HW-- I have a Shaman who worships her]

Rainbow Girl

Mythos and History

    Rainbow Girl is the daughter of Banthe, the western ocean sentience, and a spirit of light (usually identified as a child of Yelm). She is the grand-daughter of Manthi and Natea, and of Aether. She has many uncles and aunts: Sshorg, Lorian, Magasta, Yelmalio and Yelorna among them.

    Born in the Darkness, Rainbow Girl hid among the waves of her vast father. She was a lonely spirit, and houseless, for she was alien to the dark sea and the sun lay cool and dead in Hell. Whilst her uncles battle she grew to be a young girl. Her first heroic act was to aid the Lightbringers, of the enemy Storm tribe, when they sought the gates of dusk in the West. In this way she became whole, for the rising sun made her radiant and she created the first rainbow, storm/water/light in harmony.

    She is the friend of Orlanth and his house, but is also a child of the sun. Still a young goddess, she has not changed greatly since time; although she is beautiful, she is shy and will run from admirers.

Cult Ecology

    Rainbow Girl is the spirit of Water friendship. The cult is small and scattered across Glorantha. Scholars believe it was first developed on Jrustela, in the midst of the spirit’s father-ocean. She is worshipped as a spirit of succor and prayer in Prax and Maniria in Genertela. It is this form that this article describes. She has shrines in the Holy Country and at the Holy Paps.

    She is invoked yearly on Fireday of Movement Week in Sea Season.

The Cult in the World

    Rainbow Girl is a tiny cult, and like River Horse and other spirit cults, holds not real power among mortals. Her cult is obliged to be peacemakers and refrain from unneccessary violence, to be generous with water, and to protect the innocent.

    Her acolytes are held to be neutrals in tribal disputes. She is often worshipped by women of the reclusive oasis peoples of Prax.