Atheists and God

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:54:46 +1300

Julian Lord:

>Me> The Loskalmi believe
> > that the Godhead is Irensavel who is "totally separate" from the
> > world, and thus hidden. The Rokari believe that God's ultimate
> > identity is Makan who is immanent within the Creation, and thus
> > invisible.

>So (easiest first), Loskalm has more atheists than Seshnela (makes
>sense).

I should point out that these are church doctrines, not national ones. Insofar as the Loskalmi believe God is outside Creation, he is still conceived off as being human and non-worship of God is still beyond the pale.

>The Rokari would see atheism as blasphemy ; but the Loskalmi would
>have a more varied approach to the issue.

There are Atheists in Seshnela and they are not treated as blasphemers as far as I know. Schismatics would be a much better description as this would allow them to participate in Malkioni society (although at the loss of some rights) and allows the Church to torch one or two if they start getting out of line.

The Rokari and the Loskalmi would IMO reserve their ecclesiastical ire for sects that disrupt the community with their practices (for the Rokari, this might be Loskalmi serf agitators and Borists, but not Galvosti or Vadeli) or are simply too unsubtle with their evangelical activities.

> > >what sort of 'relationship' would the uneducated have with such
> > >an 'impersonal god' ?

> > Fidelity to the laws.

>Obedience ? AKA ritual ...

Insofar as their whole life is one great ritual, carefully embarked on so that they will live forever.

> > Development of their logical faculties through
> > philosophy that allows them to appreciate the splendor of the same.

>We're talking about the Loskalmi, right ?

I wasn't. I was under the impression you were asking about the non-Zzaburi (soldiers, lords and peasants) of atheist communities, typically Arolanit. Loskalmi believe in a personal god (cf doctrines of the Hrestoli Church, Glorantha: Intro p78). I should have also added fear of death.

For the most part, the Loskalmi peasants live ordinary happy lives of peace and security. They are obliged to attend church, experience Joy, obey their metaphysical superiors and that's about it. They might get the odd sermon or two every week about the egalitarian basis of the Hrestoli Church but most accept that it's not for them. Strivers of the Ideal and Overman wannabes are a small minority of the Loskalmi Farmer Caste.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #114