Aldryami Sorcery, etc.

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:32:38 -0000

Olli writes, lumping a lot of individually rather dubious ideas together:

> It was mentioned on Sandys sorcery rules that aldryami can't cast
> sorcerous spells. Sorcery requires a way of thinking that is completely
> alien to the elven mind. Is this still true?

Yes indeedy, this is still mentioned in Sandy's sorcery rules. Last time I looked, anyway :-)

> Can dwarves learn magic beond their caste grimoires? I bet they can, but
> if they do, will they also lose their immortality?

"That depends."

On the one hand, a dwarf Individualist (say) who learns a dwarf spell from another caste and uses it to further Mostali goals is probably going to be OK. (Or, at least, "Immortal until the Doomsday Machine starts up...").

On the other hand, a player character dwarf is likely to have lost his immortality *anyway*, even before he apostatises to join Humakt or Storm Bull.

> Someone said that dwarves don't even use sorcery. At least in the same
> way that the westerners do. Learning western sorcery would require
> interaction with the western Sorcery World.

Yep, this is likely to be the case. Remember, of course, that the atheistic and iconoclastic Brithini were the founders of Western Sorcery: in a sense, they employ the command-line interface, while the rest of the westerners have a fancy GUI with lovely piccies of Saints etc. to make things easier for them. (The dwarfs, of course, work in pure machine code -- probably straining Roderick's analogy to its limits).

> BTW dwarves and elves are going to be surprised when they after the Hero
> Wars perioid notice that they agree with each other and the trolls and
> the kralori on all things magical...

I don't think anyone seriously proposes that this will happen. Maybe in a frivolous one-liner, but hardly as a major theme of the Hero Wars.

:::: Email: <mailto:Nick_Brooke_at_btinternet.com> Nick