Re: The Fate of Vadrus?

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:43:21 +0000

> Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:37:20 +0200 (EET)
> From: Topi Pitkanen <tzpitkan_at_mappi.helsinki.fi>
> Subject: The Fate of Vadrus?

- -..
> "Could it be that Vadrus and Shargash are in
> some respects so similar that they could be recognized the same?"
- -..
> I would
> like to make my own journey of Valare Addi and find out what is the relationship
> - if any - between these two gods.

- -..

The question of whether god X is 'really' the same as god Y is an old favourite of the Digest. It could be argued that Orlanth, Vadrus, Umath, Shargash, Zorak Zoran and others are all 'really' the same god. IIRC, we have it on Gregly authority that determining whether two gods are 'really' the same is impossible. Gloranthans can, however, come to believe it, convince others, and acquire magical ability or (divine) interventions based on the belief.

In HW terms, establishing that the two are the same requires a suitable heroquest ending with a Heroquest Challenge. Valare failed her Heroquest Challenge, as we know.