the West etc

From: David Cake <dave_at_difference.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:47:31 +0800

Keith wrote:
>Knowing nothing about Kabbalah I feel unable to comment on the zzaburism
>debate except to ask how David's Kabbalah-like system would translate into a
>game scenario, and also how Peter's 'not like Kabbalah'' system
>would translate.

        It changes plenty about how you would write a heroquest for such a character, not to mention potentially changing the motivations for such a character.

        Basically, is this character interested in spiritual advancement, or just in controlling others.

        (FWIW - I think, in at least this respect, that Peter and I are both right, both types exist and the terminology is confusing).

Peter Metcalfe wrote:
>If the Zzaburi are using Kaballah techniques to purify the mind,
>then the description of the Zzaburi as being rationalist enquirers
>into the nature of the Cosmos becomes pretty hard to sustain.

        On the other hand, the picture of the Zzaburi as being rationalist enquirers into the nature of the otherworld, and not to mention sorcerers not scientists, becomes pretty easy.

>I don't understand the need to distinguish sorcery from mad
>science.

        I think this may be one of those barriers that is hard to cross - I can't imagine why you would want to make sorcerers into scientists.

	Cheers
		David

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #120