Dwarf Sorcerers and Sailors

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_lyyra.kempele.fi>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:14:26 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Nick Brooke wrote:

> You are writing rather loosely. I would phrase this as:

Yes. Guilty as charged.

> Very likely so. However, they would gain spiritual immortality (Solace in
> Glory) to replace the unending bodily stasis they currently endure. A dwarf
> who venerated saints would see this as a gain.

Yes, but dwarven society can't endorse it. Decamony sanctioning the infectation of dwarven sailors to the horrible disease of immortal soul! Of the humanity. (more wailing and such)

> I don't know. Sandy Petersen's old sorcery rules suggested that elves
> couldn't learn sorcery. I think venerating the saints would be easier for an
> elf than practicing atheist book-bound sorcery - and vice versa for dwarfs.
> Does this help?

Yes and no. It doesn't help the elves and the dwarves sail, but it does help make the point that elves and dwarves shouldn't really be sailing about the oceans.

> > Now how on earth... Sorry about that... Glorantha have they both learned
> > the Open Seas spell from Dormal's Grimoire?!?
>
> Do we know for sure that they did? :-)

It would seem so, because that spell is the only way of crossing the ocean... Wait. Elves could use misapplied worship! I don't think that dwarves could do so. Heehaw. The Ocean-Crossing spirits of Dormalio, the sailing leaf. ;)

Elves don't do much sailing AFAIK, but the Dwarves of Slon do. Someone should really invent how the dwarves overcome the Closing. Maybe they were the ones who really cast it!?! Break a few kogs here and some bolts there and voila oceans don't work properly. That wouldn't be a very dwarvish thing to do.

I donno. Maybe I should stop bothering myself with this.

Olli Kantola