Re: Vadrus - Shargash

From: Benedict Adamson <badamson_at_lhr-sys.dhl.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:23:06 +0000

> Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 15:59:31 +0200 (EET)
> From: Topi Pitkanen <tzpitkan_at_mappi.helsinki.fi>
> Subject: Vadrus - Shargash

- -..
> > In HW terms, establishing that the two are the same requires a
> > suitable heroquest ending with a Heroquest Challenge. Valare failed
> > her Heroquest Challenge, as we know.
>
> I'm afraid I dont know the necessary myths for suitable heroquest.
> My long term plan is to find out the myths - maybe to end up writing them.

The myths don't exist if nobody has tried it before. Your intrepid heorquester would be forging a new myth: an experimental heroquest.

I guess Green Age heroquests are especially potent, period. In (strictly speaking, at the end of) the Green Age, fundamental distinctions become apparent, so heroquesting then can make far reaching changes.

Were you at Convulsion this year? Greg made it clear that heroquesting to the Green Age is very dangerous. Seemingly innocuous minor events of a Green Age heroquest can have enormous consequences. For example, wound a denizen on such a quest, and you can be creating/enacting the myth of The First Wounding. On return from that quest, everyone who has every be wounded (which means almost everyone) will dislike you.

Green Age heroquesters also risk being pursued and destroyed by bizarre fearsome monsters never seen since the Green Age. Shades of Cthulhu. Nick Brook suggested that this is what happened to the God Learners. Greg said that the Green Age corresponds to the undifferentiation and innocence of early childhood. If so, the God Learners were destroyed by the monsters that lived under their beds when they were children.