Re: Heroes

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:44:10 EST

In a message dated 11/21/00 8:01:25PM, you write:

<< I don't know where you get the idea that Heortling society is more likely  to create heroic individuals than Dara Happa. My view of Glorantha has  always been that each culture had its own heros, they are different  because of cultural differences but they are still heros. Such as the  heroic Lunar tax collector who learns all the Orlanthi tax dodges. >>

I guess I get the idea from an article in Enclosure? or Questlines? somewhere like that. My view of heroism would not include tax collectors. If you can name an heroic tax collector in heroic fiction or myth thn you are better read than I am. If you want me to list a few farmers turned hero in a frontier environment then I could refer to Icelandic Sages and Westerns, as well as Sword and sorcery fiction, forlots of Heroes.

I am not opposed to a tax collector hero, but I think they are less likely. The 'ideal' Lunar tax collector is not exceptional, a hero is.

Keith N