Re: Heroic Tax Collection

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 16:07:31 EST

Keith:

<< <<don't know where you get the idea that Heortling society is more likely to create heroic individuals than Dara Happa. My view of Glorantha has always been that each culture had its own heroes, they are different because of cultural differences but they are still heroes. Such as the heroic Lunar tax collector who learns all the Orlanthi tax dodges. >>

 I guess I get the idea from an article in Enclosure? or Questlines? somewhere
 like that. My view of heroism would not include tax collectors.>>

     That seems to me to be an overly narrow interpretation of 'heroism', at least as the term is used in HW/Glorantha. Anyone with potent magical powers and who embodies a part of their culture can be called a hero, IMO. I don't suppose there are many tax collecting heroes (compared with, say, warrior heroes), but equally, I'm sure there must be some.

     What sort of non-combatant *would* you consider to be heroic in Glorantha?

<< If you can name a heroic tax collector in heroic fiction or myth than you are better
 read than I am. >>

     St Matthew.
     OK, so he wasn't heroic at *being* a tax collector, but then the farmer
types you mentioned from Icelandic sagas and Westerns aren't remembered for their heroic farming, but for what they did once they stopped farming (generally against their wishes).

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky