Re: Heroes

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 16:17:27 EST

In a message dated 11/23/00 4:36:59PM, you write:

<< << If you can name a heroic tax collector in heroic fiction or myth than you
 are better
  read than I am. >>

      St Matthew.

Hmm, OK you are better read than I am. I didn't claim it would be difficult.

<< OK, so he wasn't heroic at *being* a tax collector,>>

Aha! this is my point.

<< but then the farmer
 types you mentioned from Icelandic sagas and Westerns aren't remembered for  their heroic farming, but for what they did once they stopped farming  (generally against their wishes). >>

The point being that Dara Happan peasants (Pelorian peasants, more exactly) don't stop being peasants until they are dead. Orlanthi peasants, OTOH, often stop being peasants and become Heroes, fighting Dara Happan Soldiers.

Keith N