Orlanthi Farmer Heroes

From: Peter Mcaveney <pmcaveney_at_usa.net>
Date: 28 Nov 00 13:25:54 EST

Let's not forget the drawback of being a weaponthane/housecarl: the low life expectancy. Based on KoDP and my RQ campaigns I'd estimate it to be about three years on average. Think of how long your average PC lasts.

On the other hand, put yourself in the shoes of a lad born into a relatively wealthy Orlanthi family. It's a violent society and he has to know how to use weapons to get by. His clan will typically get into two battles a year with other clans, so he will be seasoned by combat experience. If his family is sensible it will invest in some decent armor and arms for him, and maybe he will get some basic training. IMO he'll be about as buff as a starting-level PC. The old greybeards, veterans of forty years of fighting, may well be weapon masters. Now if he's sensible and wants to live he will stay out of any real trouble, fighting only in the relatively non-lethal interclan raids, and only as much as necessary. He has a family to support, after all. He should let the housecarls take the suicidal risks, that's their job. In desperate times, though ...

His situation is much different from a Peloran/Kralori/Western peasant, who expects others to fight for him. No one will ever know if he had hero potential.