Re: Ernaldan initiation

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:36:27 -0000

> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:13:18 +1100
> From: darvall <madamx_at_pop.mikka.net.au>
> Subject: Hero Husbandry

> >Certainly it has nothing to do with the cult of Ernalda which most
> >females are initiated in.

> Unfortunately the only Ernalda initiation I can find has yet to be
> canonised (Has this changed Jane?)

Not that I know of. Judging from how various other fan-developed cults and so on have been represented in HW so far, my guess is that it never will be, as the people doing the "official" write-ups of Ernalda won't have bothered reading either that or the Life-Bringers Quest (the other big Ernalda myth I've done). I doubt if they've looked at any of Pam's work, either. I may be wrong: I hope I'm wrong. But most of the good work (and my rubbish) for the last five or six years isn't being declared wrong, just ignored.

> While I use it myself

Nice to know: any feedback for me?

> It does note, however, that all Ernalda initiates learn 2 handed
> spear as the shield is too heavy.

I hope it says "most": that would be the Orlanthi "all", anyway. That was an idea of mine based on my personal experience and that of some Dark age re-enactment groups. Shields are heavy. Spears aren't. I'd guess that young Orlanthi of any gender learn weapons that are cheap and that they personally are able to use. Weak boys would also go for 2H spear. Very aggressive girls would get someone to teach them sword. Or axe.

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://www.williams.nildram.co.uk/gloranth/index.shtml