Re: shield walls; heroes

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:13:27 -0800

Guy Jobbins wrote

> i can't remember what the general opinion on the
> frequency of shield walls in orlanthi society is.

I did a quick search; in King of Dragon Pass the term does occur, but it's not an integral part of the game, so you could consider it to be more a poetic description of a line of warriors than a highly polished military maneuver if you prefer.

(I think they exist, but are not necessarily the same thing as the Yelmalion shield walls.)

Ian Hammond

> Living people tend to be
> referred to as 'heroquesters' (KoDP uses this
> terminology for instance), including IIRC some
> references to jar-Eel as a 'lunar heroquester'. The
> advantage of this is that it is obvious who is a
> heroquester or not (they have undertaken a heroquest).

KoDP certainly uses "hero" in a literary, not a technical sense.

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_pensee.com> Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein