A dread reply

From: darvall <madamx_at_ns2.mikka.net.au>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 14:42:47 +1100

Daniel the Dread-full

<big snip of cogent explaination>
>After his time other rulers made their own, but here we're no longer
>>talking about citizen hoplites who formed to fight for their polis.

I think I see your point, the O/i are in a similar, not identical to as tactics obviously differ, position with regard to training standards in that they are free farmers mustering for defense as opposed to the DH/L proffessionals who bear a similar relationship to the proffessional era phalanxes.

My problem is that I see O/i life (& Sun Domer life if it comes to it) as involving much more warfare than that of these greek farmer/soldiers. This is part of what balances out the fertility magics in G. There is less time available, or the time there is is used less efficiently due to being encumbered by weapons. Thus what should be a prosperous land frequently faces famine.

Darvall
madamx_at_mikka.net.au
>From quiet homes & first beginnings

Out to the undicovered ends
Theres nothing worth the wear of winning But laughter & the love of friends.
Hilare Belloc