Orlanthi vs. the Lunars

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:52:29 +0200

Michael asked:
:The question is quite simple. Arrange equal (large) numbers of Lunar
:regulars and Fyrd/weaponthanes in a (reasonably) open field, for a set
:piece battle. Who do you expect to win? Why?

I don't think the Lunars are capable of fielding enough professional soldiers to have numerical 1:1 against the orlanthi. A third of an Orlanthi clan will fight in the fyrd, even more, when they are defending their tula.
  The logistical problems involved will keep the empire from sending huge armies all the way to Sartar.
  But when we have a sensible match of about equal strength, I'd say the chanses are about 50/50. If the lunar morale holds (outside the Glowline), they may be able to stand the orlanthi charge, and carry the day. If the charge manages to break the Lunar line, then the orlanthi will carry the day, for they are in their element in a free for all melee, where the Lunar soldiers are out of their element.   In Sartar the Lunars have to keep their formations against sudden stormwind and hale, flying and lightning chucking orlanthi weaponthanes and even warchariots. I wouldn't bet on them if it wouldn't be for the college of magic.

:My answers are: The Lunars. Because they have far superior unit training
:and discipline.

Discipline (greek style) is just one way to win. The orlanthi passion and fierceness makes them daunting opponenets. The real problem the orlanthi have facing a large, unified enemy is that they are far from unified. It's easy for the lunars to knock out a clan (or even a tribe) at a time, even if they couldn't take on the whole kingdom.

:If the Orlanthi leader can get the Lunars into broken terrain *and* break
:up the unit integrity than the Orlanthi have a much better chance. *But*
:the Lunars can get to enough settlements without this happening. Why do
:you think the Lunars conquered Sartar and Tarsh and have an empire?

One of the two will spell doom for the Lunars, I think, with equal forces.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.