Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #148

From: Olli Kantola <nysalor_at_lyyra.kempele.fi>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:41:14 +0200

On Tue, 05 Dec 2000, Michael Hitchens wrote:

> Why do
> you think the Lunars conquered Sartar and Tarsh and have an empire?

Because they have the advantage of numbers. They have more people supporting their magicians, soldiers etc. Their huge population let the Dara Happans have some heroes and after the lunars liberated their society heroes have become more common and their magic more efficient in the current situation. The lunars conquered more nations and using their powers of inclusion made them parts of their empire. The lunars possess magic for building an empire. The Dara Happan magic of maintaining an empire and the lunar magic of making the empire whole. The orlanthi on the other hand have magic to overthrow one. :-) They couldn't build one IMO without dire circumstances.

As for beating Tarsh and Sartar, I'd say that they just wore them out. The loss of thousand soldiers doesn't hurt them much, but for the natives that means dead heroes, leaders, weaponthanes and above all normal orlanthi farmers. The next generation of soldiers that they recruit doesn't suffer from defeat, but the economy of the defenders suffers no matter what.

> Glorantha. Issaries will tell us how disciplined and well trained the
> fyrd is. Then we'll know.

HW rulebook states on combat ability:

Heortling Cottar 15
Heortling Weaponthane 15 to 10W
Heortling Clan Champion 10W to 10W2
Dara Happan Peasant 8
Dara Happan Peltast 10 to 10W
Dara Happan Hoplite 15 to 10W
Dara Happan Elite Cavalry 10W to 10W2

Those were only guidelines and are likely to be gregged. I say this because I think that sartarites deserve better.

Olli Kantola
- --
It's lovely to watch colorful shadows in the planets of the eternal light.

        -The Master