Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #149

From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_thestableyard.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:59:11 +0000 (GMT)

Rick Meints Asks :

> Since Eric Rowe has retired from being this list's administrator,
> and Stephen Martin is looking for someone to run it in his place,
> what would people think about running this all through egroups?
>
> It seems to work well enough for the Hero Wars groups.

I'm personally against it. e-groups works well enough, but their archives are a pain - no way of getting a large bundle of old messages to read offline for example. Minor niggles.

The major reason for not going the e-groups route is that they may (indeed do) insist on controls that aren't acceptable. Adding adverts to every message is a minor inconvinience, but what happens if they quietly change their conditions such that they own copyright on everything - as Geocities did?

I'd rather see the list stay managed privately through majordomo, providing an acceptable owner can be found.

Cheers,
Graham