free melee

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 00:26:45 +0200

I wrote
>they may be able to stand the orlanthi charge, and carry the day. If the
>charge manages to break the Lunar line, then the orlanthi will carry the
>day, for they are in their element in a free for all melee, where the
>Lunar soldiers are out of their element.

Martin asks:
:Uuurgh. Which Imperial soldiers are out of their element in melee?

Either the imperial troops are soldiers that fight organized battles or they aren't. You can't really have both the advantage of the fierce warrior and the organized soldier.

Some people seem to be overrating the Lunar Empire's armed might somewhat seriously. This is very common, when people take a shining to one side or another in an RPG (or wargame) setting.

Dragon Pass painted a quite different view of the battle. One that was rather hard for the Empire. The Lunar advantage in a fight is their organization. One on one, or in a free for all melee my money goes for the heortlings against the empire's troops. The heortling fighter is more at home in a wild an erratic free-for-all, than the regimental soldier that is used to relying on (and supporting) his fellow soldiers.

If the Heortlings have to face the empire in a set piece battle, then they better have some real coordination and planning. I think Sartar could fight set piece battle's with the lunars, fielding warchariots and companies of flying heroes, and enlisting the aid of strong allies.

The conquered Sartar needs something to shake the empire to get it's chanse to rise again.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.