fighting prowess

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:02:07 +0200

Wesley writes:
:> > I would though. An Imperial regiment is made up of 500-1000 :> > weaponthane quality troops.

I replied:
> Nonesense! The average lunar soldier is nowhere near a match for an
> orlanthi weaponthane. The lunar centurion (cepturion?) would be about
> equalent.

Wesley again:

:HWRiG pg 120.
:
:Heortling Weaponthane 15-10w
:Dara Happan Hoplite 15-10w

To this I have to say: Badly tought out bollocks. The hoplite's should get a huge bonus for fighting in a phalanx, though I still think the Yelmalians are the only ones fighting in a deep Macedonian style phalanx with sarissa, as the yelmalians are the only units that get doubled defense in Dragon Pass (the game). On an individual level the hoplite wouldn't compare favorably with the average orlanthi carl, since their training doesn't prepare them for one vs. one combat, nor are their weapons suitable for it. When the phalanx breaks up, all is lost.

[The above is not meant to insult the writer of the values. I just don't think the reasoning behind them is valid. No doubt the hoplites are fierce opponents as long as their formation holds]

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.