chariots

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 20:33:56 +0200

Stephen wrote:
:(Incidentally, I'm not sure why you think war chariots are such an
:advantage - they didn't do the Celts or Persians much good. Most armies
:abandoned them in favour of cavalry as soon as they bred horses big
:enough).

The chariots are rather picky about terrain, but they have their points. Also I don't think the Heortlings have too many horses big enough for heavy cavalry use.

I think the Sartarite warchariots are used as personel carriers. A chariot pulled by two horses will fit a driver and two weaponthanes. They arrive quickly and deposit heavy infantry where it will do the most good, if things go bad they also allow the fighters to withdraw quickly.

The chariots are turned and ready for the retreat, and the charioteers can harass the enemy with bows and slings (the chariots group in threes, with one charioteer holding the chariots and the other two free to use long range missile weapons for support)

The chariots are very effiscient on the horses, being less tiring on them than riding, but only in good terrain. IMG the warchariots are an elite Sartarite force that operates in the lowlands. It's not a clan, or even a tribe level weapon, but one made possible by having a kingdom. Every tribe supplies and supports a couple of weaponthanes and a chariot.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.