Celts

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 23:16:39 +0200

:There's a temptation to idealise the Ancient Celts as anarchic
:egalitarians, particularly as there are large gaps in our knowledge of
:them. Beresford Ellis does this idealisation, as do other writers (often
:from a Irish nationalist point of view, like Ellis). But from what's
:survived of Brehon law we know that some of the Celts had 12-odd distinct
:castes by birth. You don't need bureaucracy or police or tax collectors
:to have a repressive society.
:
:Tom

I don't need to idealise the celts to look down on the romans. The romans were not great thinkers, artists or makers of any kind. Their so called philosophy was watered down from the greeks. They copied most of their technology from the celts (Chainmail, soap... even the Gladius is modelled after a beautiful leafbladed celtic shortsword)

An because of the Romans all the interesting religions of Europe got eaten up by the christians.

        -Adept

I think I think... Therefore I think I am.

PS. I also think that Rome is a very bad analogue for the Empire of the Red Moon. They are late iron age, not bronze age, and their armed might arose from standardizion and massproduction of gear. Not quite the Empire I see when I think of the Lunars.