Military Stuff

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 11:09:38 +1300

Mikko Rintasaari:

> >A single
> >storm priest is easily the equal of several minor- or major college
> >spellcasters.

>On what grounds do you base this?

>As above. The orlanthi are heroic individuals, relying on their
>own strength and power. The Lunar magicians are analogous to their
>soldiers, drilled into working together, and achieving effects
>they couldn't do with just their own power.

A novel interpretation and one that I've not seen anywhere before. I don't think it's true either for the hoplites or the college magicians. All that's been written is that the Lunars use their magics in unison, not that they are useless by themselves and that only in unity they can find strength. Case in point: when Argrath starts doing the same thing, do the Thunderbrothers et. al. turn into complete spazmos by themselves as a result?

>The effects a group of lunar magicians can acheive are tremendious,
>but I don't think they are individually as powerful as the Heortling
>Skalds and godtalkers.

Skalds? But the evidence of the RQ rules and other materials is against you.

>I'm still dealing with Glorantha as a bronze age world, and the Romans
>were much too advanced to be a good analogy.

So tell us where you can find Phalanxes in the Bronze Age?