My two cents

From: Peter Larsen <plarsen_at_mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 16:43:03 -0600

Mikko Rintasaari says:

>The training of the lunars stress discipline and coordination with others
>of their kind, not heroquesting for personal power. The effects a group of
>lunar magicians can acheive are tremendious, but I don't think they are
>individually as powerful as the Heortling Skalds and godtalkers.

        The Entekosiad suggests that there are a good number of Lunar heroquesters. I don't think this heroquesting is always combat-oriented, but a fair amount of it is, certainly. Heroquesting is not unknown in Dara Happa either (although I suspect it's not as common as among the Heortlings), and some groups there (the people of Alkoth, for example) most likely do nothing but combat and military heroquests.

>I'm still dealing with Glorantha as a bronze age world, and the Romans
>were much too advanced to be a good analogy.

        Um, I've always thought that the Romans were a valid model for the Lunars. It seems to be pretty well accepted (including during this argument for Romans/Germans = Lunars/Heortlings analogies). I agree that Glorantha should be more Bronze Age, but that throws the West pretty much out the window (along with huge amounts of Peloria and Dragon Pass, not to mention the East). It's what we've been given; we might as well make the most of it.

Peter Larsen