Military stuff

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 10:42:35 +1300

Mikko Rintasaari:

>Me> All that's been written is that the Lunars use their
> > magics in unison, not that they are useless by themselves and
> > that only in unity they can find strength.

>That is not of course what I said either.

When you write:

::A single storm priest is easily the equal of several minor- or ::major college spellcasters.

you _are_ implying that lunar magicians are useless by themselves. The powers of Storm Priests are well-known from RQ and it certainly has not been apparent from there that they can defeat several Lunar magicians by themselves.

> > Case in point: when
> > Argrath starts doing the same thing, do the Thunderbrothers
> > et. al. turn into complete spazmos by themselves as a result?

>No, but I don't think argrath does all of that.

Then you go against what Dragon Pass says. Weren't you telling us to pick up a copy of Dragon Pass not so long ago?

> > So tell us where you can find Phalanxes in the Bronze Age?

>Well, mostly you don't.

No "mostly", Mikko. There are no phalanxes in the Bronze Age and the simple reason for this is that Glorantha has never ever been a bronze age world, a silly little passage in RQ2 notwithstanding.

>I don't like the idea of the Lunars using actual phalanxes,
>despite the name being used in Dragon Pass (the game).

Well if the Phalanxes in your vision of glorantha aren't real phalanxes, then why are you wasting time by with arguments based on RW phalanxes then? And if they aren't, then they fight in a looser order and so must be better at individual combat, according to you...

>Since the Sundomers were the only ones to get the defensive bonus in
>the game, they remain the only ones to use the macedonian phalanx in
>my vision of Glorantha.

But the Macedonian Phalanx isn't the only type of Phalanx around.

>The Dara Happans fight like earlier Greek hoplites IMO, not using
>the sarissa, and often in formations only a couple of men thick, or
>somewhat looser formation.

This is still a phalanx in the meaning of the word. And, like it or not, it is still Iron Age despite your dislike of the Lunars having anything remotely to do with Classical Civilizations.

>By the way, if we are using iron age cultures (which I still don't
>much like) I think the Vikings are much better analogue for the
>orlanthi fighting style than the Celts,

The Celts are an Iron Age culture.