Re: e-groups

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 02:39:11 GMT

>From: Graham Robinson <gjr_at_thestableyard.net>
>
>I've already e-mailed Stephen to say I would be willing to take on the
>duties. I work for a web hosting company, and set up majordomo (among
>other things) for a living. One of the servers here is my own property, so
>if it becomes necessary, having free space would not be a problem.
>
>One problem with the e-groups option no one has covered is how will we
>physically transfer the addresses over? If we stick with majordomo, its a
>simple case of copying the configuration files over - assuming that
>chaosium aren't going to let us continue to use their's. It would also
>allow us to continue to use the same address - at least as an interim
>measure.

I don't think you can just transfer the mailing list as each subscriber needs to register with e-groups. Once the list is set up it's no trouble to subscribe to that group so it wouldn't be a big problem - just an email to everyone on the list to tell them about it.

>As for web reading - it would be about an hours work to set up an e-mail
>filter and scripts to place each mail onto a web site.

Not something of interest, separate emails rather than digests is my preference because it's easier to find things and reply with separate subjects but I can understand why some people prefer not.

>Personally, I'm still worried about the copyright issue - Geocities had a
>perfectly fine policy when they started, they just quietly changed it
>later.

Or if they get taken over, when Yahoo bought out Webrings there were a fair number of changes which some ringmasters didn't like. I'd rather not go with e-groups because they are a commercial operation. I'd volunteer myself but can't rely on connecting to the internet every day.