kids at play

From: chris ward <chrisward_at_ed.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:01:01 +0000

Hi All,

Been skimming for a long time ,but this caught my attention.

Donald replying to daniel,
>Perhaps I should have qualified that by saying "you don't send your own
>children". While I can imagine the Lunars rounding up orphans, giving
>them a spear and shield and sending them out to fight it doesn't fit
>the social structure of an Orlanthi clan. Even then it's a desperate
>measure because, unlike modern firearms, a spear is a lot less
>effective in a child's hands.

In my opinion (based on no real world or gloranthan knowlege whatever I may point out) I think the Orlanthi children, at least the older ones, do get involved in skirmishing. They run around with darts or light javelins and maybe slings on the edge of the conflict harasing enemies but not getting involved in toe to toe stuff (unless chased and caught by unscrupulous Lunars who would fight children). Probaly carry some lightish shield too and a knife or small cudgel just in case.

Just my 1/2clacks worth - Chris