Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #167

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:40:15 +0000

Mikko Rintasaari
>> The discipline of the Lunars gives them an advantage if the >> battle goes according to their training. [...]

Michael Hitchens
> Which means the Orlanthi have an advanatge if it goes according
> to their plan.

In essence, whoever manages to force the opponent to go up against his favourite tactics gains an advantage. I'll bet that Sun Tzu said so, somewhere.

> The real test of discipline is those times when things don't go
> according to your plan.

Another potential Sun Tzu-quote.

> And my belief is that the Lunars will react
> better in those situations than the Orlanthi (pre-Argrath).

pre-Argrath Sartarites: "What plan?"

If you are a Heortling commander who wishes to use advantageous terrain, that's where you position your forces before the enemy arrives, and then make sure that they hold their positions long enough. Difficult, but not impossible even with warriors eager to count coup.

Once a Heortling force faces the enemy, there will be a bout of challenges, boasting, and similar activities unless an ambush is fought. (Even then these things occur, but detract less from the general melee.) Most Heortling forces are sufficiently disciplined to let their champions work it out before stepping into the action. (Otherwise, what would be the point?)

>> I'm not sure the Sartarite towns are that easy to take [...]

> I never through they were. I simply think that, by their very
> existence, they are fixed points which the Lunars can attack
> and the Orlanthi are forced to defend (or lose valuable
> resources). It forces the warmuch more in to a mode at which
> the Lunars are superior. Even if the towns are well fortified.

This can work in favour of Heortling tactics as well. There is no greater sitting duck than a besieging army - it will be very vulnerable to raids from the outside. As long as the town defenders and outside forces cooperate (that's what wind messengers are good for), the besieging troops will have at least as hard a time as the besieged forces. Supply will be harder for the besiegers than for the besieged, and sudden small scale raids are what the Orlanthi are most proficient at - cattle raids. The besieging forces never know whether there is only a handful of painted raiders or a substantial relief force, and have to react as if there was a relief force. Any wood cutting for siege fortifications will be hazardous. A Thunderbolt makes an excellent signal for the start of action, and kites are better than flags for long range signaling.

So, if you want a lot of enemy soldiers with lots of supplies vulnerable in one place, why not build a decoy town? This only breaks down when "a lot" becomes "too many", and it took the Lunars twenty years of constant effort against Terasarin to learn this lesson.