Pelorian campaign

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:42:39 +1300

Daniel Posselt:

>1. the hierarchy of patronage is important to this
>plot. The player's family, being powerful in their
>city, would sponsor less fortunate people in their
>city; they in turn are sponsored by another family in
>the capital. I base this view on the patronage system
>in Rome, in which people had to turn to their patrons
>for representation in the courts, protection against
>violence, etc.

"sponsor" is not quite the word. The patrons are getting benefits from their clients. A more illustrative parallel (although it's most the same thing) would be the relationship many small businesses might have with the local mafia family. The key difference between the dominant heartland families and the Mafia is that the former (like the romans) also are the legal authorities around.

>I'd like to know how relevant this is
>to the Empire; and whether it's more true of a
>particular culture in the empire (DH, Pelorian,
>Carmanian, modern Lunar, etc) than another.

Generally the Dara Happans aren't into trade. Their expertise is urban government and they are quite good at it (since they receive most of its benefits). In many heartland cities, they are found controlling the local garrison, public works, the courts and market supervision (in exceptionally zealous cities, parking wardens and traffic officers can also be found). Like officials anywhere, their services can be bought and sold and they can quite easily levy sizable sums of gold coins from trading families so that the latter can be entered into the Good Books.

If your campaign takes place in a Dara Happan city, then clan PF will not be Dara Happan, but have a cosy deal (or several) with the local authorities that is dependant on them coughing up the required cash from time to time.

The Carmanians have no problems with trade, but their caste-laws mean that it is handled by Dune-style houses (as trade is the prerogative of the Karmanoi). A town or city is likely to be the property of a house. Every business therein is handled by Farmer Caste types who buy and sell their produce normally like most townies do. Their premises are normally rented from the Karmanoi (who alone are allowed to own land) on the basis of an extensive contract that obliges the business to remit a portion of its produce or income to the Karmanoi. The collection of this rent (and supervision of the business) is normally handled by a Hazar caste who handles many such businesses in his time-honored caste role as fief supervisor. The Hazar makes a living by squeezing his businesses out of additional cash, which he is allowed by law to do.

Hence if your campaign takes place in a Carmanian city, clan PF will be quite low in Carmanian eyes (but not so in the eyes of other Farmer castes) because their trading activities go against the grain of Carmanian Caste Law. Their duties are essential to Carmanians nevertheless which is why such families thrive in Carmania.

There's really no such thing as a generic Pelorian culture anymore. The remaining Pelorian urban cultures are: Sylilan, Arrolian, Pelandan and Lunar. Other cultures (Darjiinians, Darsenites, Kostaddians and Rinliddi) are either rural in character.

Sylilans are basically your Orlanthi barbarians with a Pelorian veneer (in Heartland eyes that is - other Orlanthi cannot tell the difference between Sylilans and other Heartlanders. Their leaders are the lunarized rulers of cities and towns, and they'll fit in quite easily with client-patron concept.

Pelandans are your Greek analogs. Hence they are unlikely to indulge in the client-patron relationship. They do have a merchant class which from what I can tell from the scant notes in the Entekosiad exist in a subservient role to nobles or Lunar rulers ("How clever he is! He makes [the merchants] do the work, and pay the king, and enjoy it!"). Hence clan PF is likely to work for the local nobles of the city or even the Lunar satraps.

Arrolians are despised by most Lunars everywhere as heretics and are only found in the Oraya Sultanate. They are rather westernized and their cities are run by guilds. Clan PF will probably be the merchant guild of a city and its rulers will almost certainly be a lunar official from elsewhere who takes great delight in treating Arrolians like dirt.

Lunars are really those families that have accepted the Lunar mysteries (as opposed to traditional mysteries). Clan PF will probably worship Etyries and it will turn a cut of its profits to the local potentates (of whatever ethnic) to keep them happy.

>2. likewise the structure of the trading family is
>interesting. what with the dart wars, etc, I would
>imagine that any important LE family would be at least
>somewhat militarized.

If the family is running the city, then they would be militarized. If they are not, then the families running the city will not permit them to be militarized (to the extent of participating in Dart Warfare) or else they'll try and take the city over (Client-Patron ties are hardly inviolable as they were in ancient Rome). A number of guards is permissible but not something like a mentat-warrior-assassin.

>* for a moderately large house, what magicians could
>be expected to belong to it or be employed by it?

It depends on what you mean by magician. Do you mean a priest devoted to the family gods or one dedicated to aiding in dart competitions? Nobody will have problems with the former, but the latter can cause concern with the powers-that-be.

>Obviously Irripi Ontor, Lokarnos, and related cults,
>but what others?

I don't see IO and Lokarnos as being effective house magicians and Dart Warriors in that they are hardly any good at Dart Warfare. One might as well turn to Lhankor Mhy...

A better possibility is a graduate of the Lunar University (with exceeding liberal outlook and tastes), a witch of Jakaleel, a priest of Deshkorgos, or even Krarsht.

>Yanafal Tarnils seems too martial;

There's no problem with a Yanafali being a guard or head of bodyguards. They are not all in the army.

>perhaps Annilla would be appropriate?

No. Annilla is unknown, mysterious and deadly. Getting entangled with Blue Moon Assassins means that you are up shit creek without a paddle and a boat.

>What about carmanian sorcerors, etc?

Carmanian Viziers tend to be rather anal about your family following caste law which might be not very good if your PCs are Carmanian traders. A possibility is that the sorcerer might worship Fronalako the Devil Sorcerer but he can expect to be cut to pieces by Carmanians if discovered (others will be more tolerant).

Lunar sorcerers will follow Makabaeus and have no practical problems with helping out a merchant family. There are also the Logicians, the so-called Blue Wizards, who are also rather mercenary and amoral. However their magic does not work upon pious Pelandans for mythical reasons.

>2. What is launching this 3rd family into action?

It might just see clan PF as something that can be eliminated now. It might have a desperate need for the stuff that it stole to appease some demon that aids it. They are part of an evil cult (Heretics of Vitality, servants of GanEstoro, Krarsht) that is seeking to take over a portion of the Empire.

>3. What would be important for them to expect?

Hazia, Mushrooms from Dagori Inkarth, Dragonewt skins, human body parts, Opium from the east, Ralian Wine, Occult Tomes from Ralzakark's personal library, illustrated sex manuals from Zoria, Spidersilk, a suit of Altinae Armour etc.