Cultural comparisons

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 11:14:24 +1300

Donald Oddy:

>You can't repress someone who has the ability to leave, they may choose
>not too because the alternative is worse than staying.

In which case, they are still repressed in the normal meaning of the word. Implying for example that the trollkin of Ignorance aren't repressed because they have the ability to leave seems to me to be redefining the meaning of repression for ideological grounds (FWIW many repressed people in modern states did have some ability to leave).

>Equally slavery isn't the worst that can happen, an employee who is
>paid less than it costs to live is worse off than a slave whose owner
>is obliged to feed, clothe and house him.

No full-time employee can be paid less than it costs to live off for too long. And the advantage of having your food, clothes and houses provided by your master does not seem all that much if they were (as often was the case) complete crap.

>While it is possible to compare a society
>with modern western society and make a value judgement about their
>respective merits you need to be aware that viewed from the different
>cultural perspective the opposite conclusion could equally be drawn.

And this alters the perception that some people of society X is repressed in what way?