Pentan freedom

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:20:00 +1300

Jerome:

>Peter Metcalfe quotes Glorantha Intro p174.
>
>I couldn't find the quote you mention about Sheng. Unfortunately Multisim
>have cut some small bits at the translation; too bad for sections on Kallyr,
>Minaryth and others... Or maybe it was not cut and i didn't search well
>enough. Is is in the Pentan section? (of course the page numbers aren't the
>same as well...)

It's buried in the Pentan History. I'm sorry for not realizing that you were using the Multisim edition.

> > Therefore it's debatable that a Pentan will still consider himself
> > a Freedom Lover even if he did so before Sheng Seleris (which I
> > also find improbable considering that they are Solars, not Storm
> > Worshippers). Bravery and Loyalty are the cardinal virtues of a
> > Pentan

>Solar and the concept of freedom do jar with each other, i agree.
>OTOH, the Pentans are nomads and i think (or feel) nomadism in
>nature emphasizes freedom.

You really have to distinguish what you mean by "freedom". The Islamic Bedouins, for example, might have cherished freedom but that did not extend to religion. Pentans are not known for political freedom (i.e. disagreeing with your chief):

         "The fierce horse nomads of Pent live harsh brutal lives
         on the steps.  To survive they organize themselves into
         patriarchal families, where everybody owes obedience to
         their fathers and older brothers.  [...]  Loyalty to their
         leaders unto death is a cardinal virtue among the Pentans
         and failure to obey results in exile and an unpleasant
         death."
                         Glorantha: Intro p162

         "The Council of Elders makes all decisions.  Wisdom,
         experience and magical power are all respected.  The
         chiefs of some tribes brook no descent, claiming divine
         inspiration; other chiefs listen to their warriors and
         leaders before making decisions.  Large gatherings often
         require great council and long deliberations but once
         decided all dissent is ended in favour of tribal unity."
                         Glorantha: Intro p163

While a Pentan can normally be expected to have a say in the direction of the tribe (Chiefs claiming divine inspiration are in a minority) or to follow the spirits that one desires, they are much less free to dissent than the Orlanthi are.

>At first, i suppose strict obedience is necessary only for battle. At
>other times, the nomads follow their beasts on well-defined trails and
>spend a lot of boring time doing nothing and drowsing on their horses.

I think their disciplined society permeates their ordinary social life. If they are not watchful, they can be ruined by raids from trolls or other tribes.

>They never miss an occasion to have fun: They drink kumis. They do
>riddle contests in the great steppe-wisdom fashion.

IMO these opportunities for fun usually occur under strict conditions (like having ensured that there's nobody else for miles around before getting smashed on kumis). While these occasions are useful in providing relief, IMO they have less opportunities to enjoy them than a peasant might.

>But i think the Pentans are still quite free and love their
>freedom, it's a strong feeling which their Solar culture
>may have no words for

I think the Pentans value their ability to roam, wander or to move as they please (c.f. their god is also known as the Wandering Sun), which doesn't imply a conflict with their strong social discipline as calling them freedom-lovers does.

Wesley:

> A captured enemy must be given a chance to honour himself
> before his ancestors before he is sent to them; pulling
> out his nails or flaying him allows the chance to show
> his stoicism to all and to enter the Wandering Steppe with
> his pride intact

Ouch.

>As for "freedom-loving", I don't think they are tied down in any way
>by their religion, in fact, Kargzant is the Wandering Sun. He goes
>where he wants, when he wants and sod anybody who gets in his way.

>They can't be repressed as they will just gather their horses, tent,
>women and slaves and ride over the hill to join another clan.

While this is true for the CharUn, the Pentans do not have the same ability to escape repression as they are bound by their tribal ties. While they can change those ties, I don't think it's as easy as joining the clan over the hill. As easy as a human joining Kyger Litor is probably a more appropriate analogy.