Playing in the Empire

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:03:02 EST

Theo posts:
>Also in G:IttHW:
>“Darjinians… are found in the Satrapies of Darjiin,
>Doblian, Sylila, and Kostaddi.”

Yes they are, the Sylilan border runs north of the Erinflarth and includes Dara-Ni which has many Darjiini in it, despite the best efforts of Alkoth.

>G:CotHW says that Sylila has 400k inhabitants.

Yes, but this figure ignores the 380k and 600k in Saird, part of which as to be added to Sylila. I estimate Sylila at around 800k in total.

>Based on this, I’d like to run the following basic
>outline of Jillaro by you all:
>* Jillaro has about 40k inhabitants.

Maximum is around 20k for a large city.

>* The ethnic breakdown of Jillaro is as follows: 50%
>Heortling, 20% Darjiini, 15% Dara Happan, 15% ‘Lunar
>Other’ (or mixed-ethnicity)

Sounds good.

>* The religious breakdown would follow similar lines:
>40% ‘safe’ orlanthi, 15% Darjiini, 10% Yelmite, 35%
>Lunar (mostly Rufelza and Hwarin Dalthippa with some
>other lunars).

Very
few Rufelza, Hwarin is a small cult, but certainly 7Ms and the other Lunar classic cults, the rest seems about right.

>* Jillaro is the intersection of the Daughter’s road
>and the Oslir. In addition it is close to two major
>sources of Iron (Imther and Jord). As such it is a
>major Lunar supply crossroads, especially for military
>materials.

Agreed! Don't forget that Sylila was a bulwark against Sheng and has strong defences and a military history second to none. The city has a large river port and a strong naval squadron is based there. The sylilan army is very powerful and the Satraps can project power into many areas, particularly the Provinces and Talastar. It is a hub city with a proud culture.

Regards

Martin