Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #182

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 11:13:06 -0600

>Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:13:41 +0100
>From: "Christoph Kohring" <ChOK_at_urbanet.ch>
>> From: "Guy Hoyle" <ghoyle1_at_airmail.net>
>> Subject: Terra Incognita
>>
>> Hmm.... can anybody explain what the deal is with Terra Incognita?
Sounds
>> like Glorantha's version of Edgar Cayce.
>
>Who is Edgar Cayce by the way? As for Terra, he is Japanese and his
mastery
>of Shakespeare's language is unfortunately such as it is... (I love it
when
>he sometimes writes "l" instead of "r" just like most Japanese people
>pronounce European languages ! "Glolantha" is definitely cute! :o) ;o)
:o)

Ahh, Edgar cayce, the Sleeping Prophet; back in the early part of the 20th century, he made all kinds of rambling predictions and prescribed "folk remedies" for thousands of people in a trancelike state.

I do want to clarify something: I didn't mean to sound as if I was making fun of Terra's English. In fact, I had forgotten he was Japanese. I realize that there are many Gloranthaholics who speak English as a second language, and I certainly don't want to discourage anybody from participating in Gloranthic discussions. If any offense was perceived, Terra, I publically apologize.

I'm very curious about Terra's purpose in posting the messages. They seem to be part recitation, part reinterpretation of Gloranthan background info. Is he making his own interpretation of Glorantha? Or is he asking questions about things which are unclear to him? Or is he trying to provoke conversation?

>P.S.: Hope I didn't offend anybody...
>P.P.S.: It's amazing to see the number of Japanese who are member of the
GTA
>compared to those who are active on the list, don't you think?!?

Wonder if the language barrier is a problem? I thought that English was commonly spoken in Japan now, but I could be mistaken. I wonder if there are any Japanese Gloranthan discussion forums?

Guy Hoyle

We Meddle in God's Domain So That You Don't Have To