Re: language

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:55:53 -0800

Guy wrote

>I thought that English was
>commonly spoken in Japan now, but I could be mistaken.

When I visited with my wife, we asked directions of a policeman (in English). Rather than answer, he took out a piece of paper and wrote (in cursive!) the directions.

There is a big difference between being able to read English, and being able to carry on a conversation. (In game terms, it's quite possible to have Read/Write skill higher than Speak skill, just as it's possible to have a higher Speak.)

As for Terra, his (or her?) writings are often hard to understand (because they ramble on with various speculations), but often amusing. But they are very hard to reply to.

David Dunham dunham_at_pensee.com
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein