Sylilan and classification

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 15:39:21 +1300

Theo Posselt:

>Are Alakoring and Odayling synonomous?

No. Alakoring is an ancient hero from Lankst. During the Imperial Age, he spread new rituals from Lankst to Aggar, Sylila and Saird (but not IMO to the Eastern Wilds). The Orlanthi who adopted these rituals are known as Alakorings.

>Fourth, I'm lost in the Orlanthi terminology. My
>apologies for my ignorance. I'm not clear on what the
>general term is for the ethnic group that includes
>Alakorings, Heortlings, Sylilings, etc. Would they
>all be called 'Orlanthi'?

Yes.

>What if they don't worship Orlanth?

Then they are not Orlanthi. You could refer to people who speak a speech related to Stormspeech, but this is of limited utility as it includes non-Orlanthi such as the Tusk Riders, the Caladrans and the Esrolians.

>Regarding the Sylilings, what language would they
>speak? A variant of Alakoring?

Most Sylilans would speak Syliling, a dialect of the Pelorian Orlanthi speech (making it partially comprehensible to the Brolians, the Bilini, the Tarshites and other provincials). Upper class Sylilans speak New Pelorian.