Lunar administration

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 20:25:16 +1300

Theo Posselt

>What are the administrative areas smaller than
>Sultanies called (the equivalent of counties).
>Perhaps dioceses?

I think the Lunars are a lot more chaotic than that. They rely on the local nobles to do much of the government for them and the administrative districts would be a haphazard collection of city-states, clan territories, communes, fiefs, Great Temples etc. Anything ruled by the Few is treated as a administrative territory. Most Satraps IMO like to have a lot of nobles with extravagant titles sucking up to them in court than a few powerful nobles with the potential to cause trouble.

Yes, with the fractious nature of the Few, the number of disputes that occur will be ungodly. But this isn't a problem as Satraps deputize dispute resolutions to their underlings. Normally such hearings take place at the Satrapal palace or any other location that the Satrap deems suitable.

>I'm thinking of the following as being dioceses of
>Sylila:
>* Sylilingland - ie, Alakoring Sylila

Sylila will be broken up into a patchwork of tribal or clan boundaries (inconsistencies will abound: favorites of the Satrap will have the ability to rule "tribes" while everybody else is stuck with clans). The name chief or king, and other Orlanthi nomenclature will be avoided in Lunar company in favour of Pelorian courtly titles (for example, Overseer of Cafol sounds so much more sophisticated than Chief of the Cafoli clan). Most affairs would be handled from Jillaro.

>* Dara-Ni

Broken up into a patchwork of cities, all overseen from Thubana.

>* Rist

A number of "Old Centers", the largest of which seems to be the Palace of Flowers. Since that isn't too far away from Thubana, the official there could handle both regions from Thubana or spend half his time smoking magic petals at the Palace of Flowers. Wonder if there's a petal throne there?

>* Jillaro

A single council on which the leading families of Jillaro sit. Call it the Council of Seven (or even the Council of Six and One) after the Pelorian fashion.