Imperial army

From: Svechin_at_cs.com
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:01:44 EST

Gareth Martin:
>Can anyone tell me what a vexilla, the magical standards, actually looks
like?

It varies. Basically the vexilla is an awakened standard allowing vexillationes from various units, often of completely different types to work as a combined arms force under the aegis of a Tarnils over officer. Thus, the vexilla represents the cohesive nature of the Lunar way and would be a moon globe atop a long pole, the globe will have rods radiating from it that allow symbols of the units attached to the veilla to be affixed in the creation ceremony, when the officer awakens the vexilla and takes over symbolic and mythic command of the new integrated unit.

>Something I have assumed but not had confirmed is the presence of stardised
>uniforms, tehcniques, command and contrlo structurs in the Lunar army.

Yikes! No, definately not. The Imperial Army is as diverse as the consituents of the Empires itself.

>However, amny posters have stressed the deralist nature of thenLunars, with
distinct >unit types and cultural treadidiotns.

Yes, this is the case.

>I confess I find this confusing - its a sort
>of "when is an emoiure not an empire" kinda thing, it seems.

Many empires had diverse constituent troops types, the Achaemenids, the Seleucids, the Macedonians, the Timurites, the Ottomans, even the Reconquista Spanish. This is nothing unusual for large Empires. Indeed, Rome was rather unusual for its homogeneity (although by the late Imperial period, this was not the case either).

The Lunar Empire is the empire of inclusions and has succeeded where Dara Happa consistently failed. DH often conquered the regions the Lunars now control but could not maintain control due to cultural incompatability leading to eventual schism and rebellion. The Lunars have absorbed the cultures of Peloria by letting them be themselves, while at the same time creating and _acceptable_ , flexible and pragmatic ruling veneer over those cultures. Simultaneously the Lunars also have their own growing culture beneath the veneer that has caused some friction as it intrudes on older, more conservative peoples.

>So any comments on
>that, how/if the lunar armny integrates its components, would be appreciated.

The main tool for integration is the Tarnils officer corps, who function as the liaison between the various regiments at the _Operational_ level. At the tactical level of war, the methods of fighting are solidly the preserve of the regiments themselves. Strategically the planning for war usually goes beyond the Tarnils cult warlords, though they do have a say in it - often the overall command of an army goes to a noble form the court, like Tatius.

Armies in the empire are formed form the pools of troops available from the Heartland Corps, Cavalry Corps, Imperial Bodyguard, Sisters Army and Provincial Army. All of the latter are administrative organisations rather than independant armies in their own right. When a region is designated as being an army region, it is assigned a headquarters with the commander and has regiments added to the roster of its formations. For example, the Army of Esrolia was formed in 1622 and was disbanded in 1624 after the defeat at Pennel, likewise the Army of Heortland was disbanded after Milran the same year and became the Army of Whitewall.

Theoretically this means that the units assigned to an army are considered the most appropriate for the job - so Aggari Highlanders for war in Sartar, heavy cavalry and horse archers for the Redlands etc. In practice, due to previous allocations and political considerations, some units are sent on missions that do not suit their skills particularly well. Eg sending a phalanx to suppress the hill tribes of the Culbrea is not the best use of their fighting skills.

The Generals assigned to command the armies are mostly from powerful Imperial ruling houses. Typically they will bring their own staff to the war and their own bodyguard units. Some of the wealthiest Imperial houses can field one or more regiments of house troops and these are often taken on campaign too. However, the Tarnils officers are assigned from Imperial headquarters by the Imperial Warlord or the Emperor himself, if his mask is warlike and interested at the time.

I'll add this question to my FAQ on the Imperial Army. Thanks!

Martin Laurie