Re: rivers, lunar invasion of sartar

From: Weihe, David <Weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 12:12:39 -0500

Gareth Martin asks:
> Can anyone tell me what a vexilla, the magical standards, actually
> looks like?

Like a Roman standard from any decent movie (Ben Hur, Spartacus, Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, etc.), except with Pelorian script instead of Romam, and something like WAAO (We Are All One) rather than SPQR.

> Something I have assumed but not had confirmed is the presence of
> stardised uniforms, tehcniques, command and contrlo structurs in the
> Lunar army. However, amny posters have stressed the deralist nature
> of thenLunars, with distinct unit types and cultural treadidiotns. I
> confess I find this confusing - its a sort of "when is an emoiure not
> an empire" kinda thing, it seems. So any comments on that, how/if the
> lunar armny integrates its components, would be appreciated.

Remember, an Empire is a Great Kingdom, a kingdom of kingdoms. Each Kingdom retains most of its identity, at least as much as it can. Therefore, like in the British Army, uniforms are standardized for the regimental level, at most. The closest thing in the US Army is the way that Airborne, Ranger, and Special Forces each have their own variations on the base Infantry uniform, and used to beat to within an inch of his life any soldier from a lower level unit who dared to wear the distinctive item of a higher unit.

The techniques and CCCI of the units have been gradually growing together due to the effects of the YTs spread throughout the whole army like General Staff officers in the pre-WWII German and Prussian armies, but it still has a long way to go to get to the standardization of Rome, let alone post-WWI modern armies.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #189