Hours and the Lost City of Ani

From: Mike Dawson <mdawson_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:24:08 -0500

A bit of rereading in the Glorantha HW Book drew my attention to a description of time--including a mention that many cultures give names to the hours of the day.

I remember some version of this for Uz--some hours were called things like "when the crickets stop chirping."

I've never seen one for Heortling culture, so I thought I'd give it a try. It isn't finished, but here goes, including some alternate names based on regional variation:

Midnight	Hour of Xentha [Pole Star in Northern Sartar]
1 AM	Hour of Yinkin
2 AM	Hour of Elmal [Yelmalio in Northern Sartar]
3 AM	Hour of Zorak Zoran [Telmor near their lands, the Devil near Prax]
4 AM	Hour of Urox (whose greatest act occurred before the dawn)
5 AM	Hour of Chalana Arroy (who healed the Sun, allowing its rebirth)
6 AM	Hour of Voria
7 AM	Hour of Barntar (because it is time to get to work)
8 AM	Hour of Ernalda
9 AM	Hour of Issaries (shops open, farewells said, journeys begun)
10 AM	Hour of Lhankor Mhy (because scholars work late and sleep in)
11 AM	Hour of ?????
Noon	Hour of Yelm (duh)
1 PM	Hour of ?????
2 PM	Hour of ?????
3 PM	Hour of Heler (Afternoon Thunderstorms around this time)
4 PM	Hour of Humakt (a time for duels, mirrors giving Death to Orlanth, battles end)
5 PM	Hour of Orlanth (for the slaying of Yelm)
6 PM	Hour of Rausa (duh)
7 PM	Hour of Argan Argar (when the Dark Markets are open to and safest for daytimers)
8 PM	Hour of Uleria (because good people are abed by now)
9 PM	Hour of Kyger Litor
10 PM	Hour of Elders/Ancestors (because old folks need less sleep, and councils meet long into the night)
11 PM	Hour of Eurmal (because by this time, anyone awake is really drunk)

For 11, 1 and 2, I can't think of anything particularly fitting. I suppose Voriof and Uralda deserve hours of their own, but why these?

Of course, with no real instruments of timekeeping, these hours are as variable as the winds. In the summer, the days are longer, and the hour of Rausa probably lasts until almost 9pm "real" time, for example.

Variations of these names from one Orlanthi area to another offers lots of chances for miscommunication. Reminds me of the sorts of problems that medieval merchants used to face with non-standard measurements for goods. "Late? What do you mean, late? I was there at half-past Heler, and you were already gone!"

Now on to the Lost City.

Searching for examples of real-world architecture to use for my game, I came across the Lost City of Ani in Armenia:  http://www.virtualani.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm

This web site is a tremendous resource on a very unusual and picturesque city occupied from 850-1500 or so.

I solicit comments on what city or ruin in Glorantha could be modeled after this amazing and well documented place. Its rough traits that need to match are:Large city or Metropolis, sited on North side of a not too huge river, rocky soil, western-ish style buildings, temperate climate.

My quick nominations for Gloranthan placement: Valantia, Segurane, Estau, Riverjoin, Zoria, Syran, Marost, Baustin, Red Ruin. Not that I mean to step on anyone else's development of these cities. Somehow I doubt that lots of work has gone on for ALL of these.

Mike Dawson Macintosh Tech Director on severance mdawson_at_mac.com http://homepage.mac.com/mdawson Sent to you using Mac OS X - the future of Macs!