Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #199

From: Andrew Larsen <aelarsen_at_facstaff.wisc.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 16:36:42 -0600

> From: "Loren Miller" <loren_at_ioxy.com>
> Subject: Moon and Orlanth 4 Weapons
>
> Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com> replies to Andrew Larsen:
>>> 1) Orlanth's 4 Weapons are symbolic of his victory over the
>> other elements.
>>> What about the Moon?
>>
>> Orlanth hasn't conquered the Moon so he doesn't have one.  Also the
>> Orlanthi may see the Moon as being either chaos (which Orlanth has
>> defeated but since it isn't an element, he doesn't have a magical
>> weapon for it) or sky rather than an element in its own right.

> On the other tentacle, Mr. Larsen may have been asking if the Moon had 4
> weapons symbolizing her conquest of the other elements. The lunar armies
> certainly use combined arms, and some of the lunar goddesses have multiple
> arms with multiple, different weapons in them, so if I had to hazard a
> guess, I'd say "yes, the moon does have magic weapons that symbolize her
> conquest of the younger elements."

    Well, that's an interesting idea as well, but what I was thinking was more along the lines of whether Orlanth's struggle with the Red Goddess could be made easier if someone heroquested to steal a 5th weapon from the Goddess, to go alongside the other 4 weapons symbolizing his conquest of them. If so, any ideas what that weapon might be?

Andrew E. Larsen