(Vingan) women only

From: Topi Pitkänen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:11:24 +0200 (EET)

Hello!

I have a question for the digest:
But let me begin with a related question: are there male followers of Vinga? Or more to the point, is the all in "all followers of Vinga are women" an orlanthi all of 85%? Are there a minority of a minority of redheaded lads?

My main question:
What are the reasons and effects of male-exclusion in cults of glorantha?
(BTW this is no way an attempt to restart the Nandan debate...)

I think that the cult of Vinga could be intresting example for drawing the line between male-accepting female deities and those goddesses that allow themselves only be worshipped by women.

It seems to me that Vinga (in myths) is graving for acceptance and at the same time (in cult-writeups) not accepting males? Yet her followers can have men's Orlanth-positions in clan rings etc.

This isn't necessarily contradictory in the least.
(Vinga is a woman after all... ;)

My thesis is anyway: Vingas's principles are such that in theory she wouldn't mind men worshipping her - also in the sense of "learning her feats". But are there Vinga-worshiping men?

If there are, then I would like to know about them!

If not, why? If my thesis is correct, there are bound to be some deeper reasons for "women only". I would like to hear your opinions about that too.

"Any worldwiew that isn't strange is automatically false."