Re: Movie recommendation

From: Nils Weinander <nils_w_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 00:21:43 -0800 (PST)

Oliver:

> I'd like to recommend Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon if
> anyone's
> wondering what a Hero War's fight might look like. I'm convinced
> that
> Vingans
> must fight like martial artists in the movie, lots of jumping,
> running
> through
> tree tops, etc. Great stuff.

Recommendation seconded! The leaps and treetop fights are also excellent examples of martial artists using their Counter to refute mundane things like gravity.

Chow Yun Fat's character can almost fly freely it seems and has thus greater skill at this than Michelle Yeoh's character, who has to touch walls and roofs more often.

Another parallell to Hero Wars combat is that very few combatants are killed or even seriously injured. The fights end when one combatant is down on his knees/winded/disarmed etc.

Nils Weinander

Do You Yahoo!?
Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail. http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #214