The Emperor and the Assassin.

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:32:07 +1300

Various people have recommended "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". As well as endorsing it, I also like to recommend "The Emperor and the Assassin". While not a martial arts movie* like the former, TE&TA is a superb historical tragedy (although some of the facts have been changed - the queen's lover was disguised as a Eunuch - or ignored - the Doctor for example) with several gripping battle scenes.

But I think the moments of drama are what really make the movie excellent. For example, the Emperor's last conversation with his father tops whatever Luke Skywalker had to endure.

*although I must admit the first time I saw Giang Hu Underworld in the subtitles, I thought they were referring to a thieves guild of some sort.