Weapons

From: Jerome Blondel <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:19:26 -0000

Hi

In HW, Spear & Shield is said to be a common Heortling fighting style. But how do people fight with 1H-spear? I'm sure it must work but i can't picture this. How do you hold your spear? I've even tried with a wood shaft but it seems quite clumsy (note that i'm a poor fighter...)

Lunar weapons:
>:Andrew Larsen wrote :
>:Well, that's an interesting idea as well, but what I was thinking
>:was more along the lines of whether Orlanth's struggle with the Red
>:Goddess could be made easier if someone heroquested to steal a 5th weapon
>:from the Goddess, to go alongside the other 4 weapons symbolizing his
>:conquest of them. If so, any ideas what that weapon might be?

>The sickle

Probably the favourite weapon of Lunar priests and sorcerers - i like the sickle. But in this context the moon weapon doesn't have to be a harmful one: consider Kyger Litor's sandals and Huraya's scarf. Or maybe this is a very very harmful one, like the Crimson Bat, which symbolizes the Red Goddess's victory in her own Godquest.
Also, the Lunar weapon may be tainted with Chaos and the heroquester who tries to steal it has to be aware of such a danger. If he does it anyway, either he's illuminated, either he's a Trickster, either he's a dangerous guy. And assuming an Illuminated Orlanthi Hero conquers the moon weapon and creates a subcult, what would the consequences be?

The Goddess wasn't there when the Compromise was done. Despite Castle Blue, would the Orlanthi think she has legitimacy as part of the Cosmos, unless the four other elements whose powers are worth being conquered?

Finally, a famous Orlanthi Heroquester did find a weapon against the Moon, which is Moonson's own alter-ego Sheng Seleris. But Sheng is not a typically lunar thing, so this may not count.

Martin Laurie:
>There is no single method the Emperor uses to maintain control, for his
>very existence is the strongest controlling factor in the Empire. While he
>exists the Empire will always exist. It is his death and total
>dissapearance in 1628 that truly begins the Hero Wars for the Empire.

As soon as 1628!! Is this a typo? Tarsh was only liberated around 1630! Did someone (PCs?) permanently murder him and the affair being kept secret? I thought Argrath would bring back Sheng Seleris and Sheng would kill him later. Both of them are going to be disappointed (Argrath not the least when he discovers he has brought back this psychopath to the world for nothing.)

Jerome