Re: The Glorantha Digest V8 #216

From: Wulf Corbett <wulfc_at_wulf.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:17:19 +0000

>Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:19:26 -0000
>From: "Jerome Blondel" <bwbfc_at_hotmail.com>
>Subject: Weapons

>In HW, Spear & Shield is said to be a common Heortling fighting style. But
>how do people fight with 1H-spear? I'm sure it must work but i can't picture
>this. How do you hold your spear? I've even tried with a wood shaft but it
>seems quite clumsy (note that i'm a poor fighter...)

It's actually remarkably easy. You hold the spear in the middle of it's length or so, and stab with it. Without a shield, it's a bit clumsy, and very hard to defend - best use two-handed if you've no shield, you can hold it further back and get better reach too (one-handed you only get about the same reach as a sword, but a spear is a hell of a lot cheaper...). But WITH a shield, you lead with the shield & shield shoulder, and stab past the edge of it, underhand or overhand. Overhand, you can throw it at a second's notice too (better have an alternative weapon though...).

Wulf