Re: Lunar contraception

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:22:46 -0000

Stephen Tempest:

> Another thought regarding contraception: on Earth, a strong mythical
> connection was often drawn between the Moon's 28-day cycle and that of
> women. Does anything similar exist on Glorantha? It'd be nice to think
> that the rhythm method will *always* work for female initiates of Lunar
> cults, since their fertility has become intimately linked to the cycles of
> the Red Moon.

The only problem with this is that the Red Moon has a 1-week cycle. A menstrual cycle of 1 week would be a really terrible idea! (The bad mood lasts two days, the stomach aches last about four, then you get two days off instead of three weeks..)

Unless someone who knows far more about the moons of Glorantha than I do can come up with a mythic reason for a longer cycle?

Or you can alter female biology to go four times as fast? Probably giving a metabolic rate four times as fast.... maybe that's what some Lunar heroines do? I can see Jar-Eel moving and thinking four times as fast as everyone around her. But not your standard Lunar housewife, surely?

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://www.williams.nildram.co.uk/gloranth/index.shtml

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #217