Heortling justice

From: Frank Rafaelsen <rafael_at_nvg.ntnu.no>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:42:21 +0100 (CET)

I've got a question about Heortling justice. I've been reading, and re-reading both the excellent piece in Tales 18(?) and the Report on the Orlanthi in KoS. But I still don't understand exactly how it works in praxis.

The case: A Hedkoranth God-Talker disappeared along with a holy relic. After som heavy duty ritual magic the party lawspeaker discovered that the God-talker was killed with a garrote, by a 'Lhankor Mhy' cultist from a different clan. Both his head and a special Thunderstone was abducted. Now that is secret murder, theft of a holy item, and a very strong indication of Thanatar worship.

The murderer is from a very powerful clan, so the player-characters are opposed to starting a blood feud with the other clan before other options have been examined. How would they go about to get his bloodline to court?

It seems like a very time-consuming process if they have to drag both clan-chiefs and both bloodlines before the tribal king at the quarterly moot. Any suggestions on how heortling justice would handle such a case?

"If we were always to judge from reality, games would be nonsense. But if games were nonsense what else would there be left to do?" - Tolstoy

                        Frank Rafaelsen