Time, Bronze, etc.

From: Peter Mcaveney <pmcaveney_at_usa.net>
Date: 22 Jan 2001 17:12:27 EST

Andre Jarosch wrote:
>So Rufelza, a mask of Sedenya, was created in time, and canīt be the child of
Glorantha and Wakboth.

Doesn't quite work that way.

Wakboth's defeat wasn't 'before' the dawn, because there is no such thing. There is no time before time began; the events of the previous ages don't follow linear cause-and-effect. The myths happen whenever the stories are told, and whenever brave souls venture onto the Hero Plane.

Was Rufelza created in Time? Yes. Did she exist in the God Time? Yes. Hold those two thoughts in your mind simultaneously and you won't need to fear those spirits of retribution ...

Mike Dawson wrote:
> Based on my experience, I believe that the reason we see Heortling and
ancient real world world troops mustered with Spear and Sheild is because of the expense of doing something else.

Exactly! Not to mention the fact that you can make a spear out of primitive materials - obsidian, flint, or even just a pointy stick will serve in a pinch.

Let's not forget how difficult it is to make a sword using materials other than steel. (Disclaimer: yes, I know Gloranthan metals don't correspond to RW ones, but we can probably all agree that iron is stronger than bronze.) A wood-shafted spear look downright sturdy and practical in comparison to a bronze sword, which is closer to a sharpened wad of aluminum foil than you might think.

End of The Glorantha Digest V8 #222